31/12/2009 | by Tom Copsey
Where: Innsbruck, Austria
Updated version: Changes in Rider Fixtures
While winter made its return to Innsbruck today with some gusty snowfalls we watched as the Air & Style riders draw took place in front of the Billabong store in the city centre. And boy do the fixtures for tomorrow’s knock-out stage look exciting: Highlights include Travis Rice battling Andreas Wiig, Peetu Piiroinen going up against Gigi Rüf, and Risto Mattila and Eero Ettala having an all Finnish encounter. However, all fixtures will be worth watching closely.
1. Stefan Gimpl (AUT) vs. Elias Elhardt (GER)
2. Pat Moore (USA) vs. Iouri Podladtchikov (SUI)
3. Chas Guldemond (USA) vs. Werner Stock (AUT)
4. Antti Autti (FIN) vs. Marko Grilc (SLO)
5. Peetu Piiroinen (FIN) vs. Gigi Rüf (AUT)
6. Risto Mattila (FIN) vs. Eero Ettala (FIN)
7. Travis Rice (USA) vs. Andreas Wiig (NOR)
8. Torstein Horgmo (NOR) vs. Tim Humphreys (USA)
Unfortunately, Seb Toutant injured himself in Thursday’s training session. Being the first rider to hit the massive kicker construction he overshot the landing badly. He will not be able to compete in tomorrow’s event. Best wishes for a swift recovery from the Onboard crew.
Speaking of which, we saw some very technical maneuvers being thrown over the massive gap of the obstacle. Among them back 12s, double backflips and double rodeos to name a few. Very early into the training session Mikkel Bang bailed hard onto the knuckle, and he will be replaced by Stefan Gimpl.
Other than that the outlook for tomorrow looks promising: The setup works well, the weather will improve, and most importantly the riders are pumped!
Check again tomorrow for more updates on the event!
- Uli Köhler